How Big's Your Dinghy and Where do You Put it?

Looking for a dinghy and trying to figure out size and placement. We have davits but looking for a place on the deck for long distances and seems like the best place for it would be between the mast and the companionway. Which is only about 8 feet plus there’s not a lot of clearance for the vang, also there’s a winch that also might get in the way. Wondering how you all are solving this.

Sorry a lot of clutter on the deck for now trying to get a few projects done before we go back in the water next week.

Oh and what kind of dinghy do you have and do you like it? :bowing_man:

I changed the fitting on the upper end of the Jack stay, where it fits into the mast, to one that allows it to be pulled further forward. The jack stay now leads further forward, to where the inner forestry attaches. This lets me store an 8’6” dinghy forward of the mast. Hopefully I can attach a photo. Max

1 Like

Tom, I have a relatively large dinghy, Caribe 3.1 rib, which is too large for under boom. Of course we could partially deflate it to make it fit. So we use a halyard to lift onto the foredeck between mast and inner forestay. We have a Nordic 44. Our life raft is mounted under boom. The big dinghy is great for longer trips to shore and keeping dry, but when it does go to heaven I think a smaller one is in order. I have looked at a 2.7m but that is too short. I don’t have davits so lifting on and off the foredeck is a regular job when cruising.

1 Like

Thank you both. Very helpful. Much appreciated.

Tom
On Diva we disconnect the jack stay from the deck and tie it off. I don’t think it adds much under coastal sailing conditions. I then room for a 310Avon inflatable (10’) . Easily raised and lowered with the spin halyard. Or, roll it up and store it at the base of the mast forward. Don’t think anyone stores an inflated dinghy behind the mast. You just have to move your life raft
Or store it until you go offshore.
Mike

Thanks @Diva was thinking about a RIB.

Looking at this 9ft Zodiac.

It says it stores down to 6’11 which should fit under the boom. but maybe it would better on the foredeck. Keeping in mind we have our crazy arch which has davits so it would only be for while on longer passages.

Here’s a photo from previous owner not sure what dingy they had. but looks like they stored under the boom. :man_shrugging: