Line winch overhaul

I have been attempting to remove this line winch (if that is what it is actually called) from my 1984 Nordic. The release pin at top should simply pull out allowing the whole unit to slide off the mast track. However this pin will not pull. Am I missing something. Does anybody know what this type of winch is called and the manufacturer. Thanks

1 Like

You are on the right track. They are called “continuous line winches”. I don’t have any of those on my '44. One thing about the Nordics - they were semi custom and many left the factory different from the one before. Also, after many years owners revised their set-ups.

As for your problem. You have the age old problem of a stainless pin in an aluminum casting. Aluminum and stainless are galvanic enemies. Over time the aluminum corrodes, swells and seizes the pin. Heating the aluminum with a propane torch may loosen it.

1 Like

Antal still make something similar, called a line driver. StormAlong is right, heat and PB Blaster, careful with the combination! You will probably also need “shock” as well. After heat and blaster, either tap the pin sharply but not brutally with a small hammer a few times then repeat the cycle. You can also try this trick if you take the ring out. Get a battery drill with a screwdriver setting, tighten the chuck onto the pin and set the clutch on the screw driver to something low and pull the trigger - it will act like an impact wrench. Increase the clutch setting as far as possible without having the chuck slip. Patience and repeat heat, spray, shock and you might be lucky. Otherwise saw the pin off flush, center punch it and drill it out - leaves you with a problem of finding a replacement pin if you want to re install it.

1 Like