The Never Ending Discussion of Bottom Paint

Specially created for @IanMoore2468 who wants to do nothing more than discuss, weigh and compare the various pros and cons of all the bottom paints of the world. Be warned this could be almost as exciting as watching it dry. :rofl:

Feel free to let us know where YOUR allegiance lies. :guardsman:t3: :guardswoman:t3:

Put your bottom where your mouth is! :neutral_face::thinking:

Iโ€™ll start with one I would NOT recommend. Pettit Trinidad SR. We use it a lot here in the Pacific NW. I had a professionally applied bottom done (and it was done well) and found it was not up to spec. The manufacturer did not stand behind the product warranty. The paint is supposed to be a hard finish, non-ablative but is actually soft enough to cause a bloom when cleaned in the water. This resulted in a boat I canโ€™t have cleaned by any diver that cares about getting fined. I went back and forth with the local paint rep and they eventually decided that โ€œblueโ€ is softer than other colors and thatโ€™s just the way it is. In other words, not a hard bottom paint. Avoid this paint. It also has rather poor slime resistance. Iโ€™ve not had problem with hard growth though. Pettit getโ€™s a D for selling a product that doesnโ€™t do what they claim. Rep probably did what he was allowed and was responsive. Iโ€™m off their paints for good. Back to Seahawk or maybe another hard epoxy paint next time.

1 Like