Wiki - Nordic Cutlass Bearings

Hey All - Just copying this over from the Google Group as a new Wiki Page. Thanks to Steve Nordtvedt for contributing this super valuable info. Any other topics like this that we might want to add to our repository, please let me know.

“Cutless Bearings - All cutless bearings manufactured by Johnson Duramax have different code names by size. Duramax SAE size cutless bearings have code names that begin with “JON”, which I assume is short for Johnson. The strut bearing size for both the Nordic 40 and Nordic 44 is 1-1/4” id x 1-3/4" od x 5" long, SAE brass shell, code name JON BIRD. Today, Johnson Duramax appears to be the primary cutless bearing manufacturer, although I see some mention of bearings under the name Morse, marketed through West Marine. Johnson bearings are stocked and available through Fisheries Supply in Seattle and other sources.

When the boats were originally built in the 1980s, we purchased cutless bearings manufactured by BF Goodrich and marketed under the name Lucian Moffitt. BF Goodrich subsequently stopped making cutless bearings. Although not confirmed, BF Goodrich may have sold the cutless bearing business to Johnson Duramax. Goodrich’s (Lucian Moffitt) code name for the 1-1/4" x 1-3/4" x 5" bearing was “KIDNAP”.

I hope this bit of history will clear up the questions regarding replacement.

BTW - the bearing that supports the foot of the rudder shaft is also a cutless bearing.

1. On the Nordic 40 the bearing is 1/3rd of a 1-3/4" id x 2-5/8" od x 7" long, code name JON BUCK. This bearing is pressed into the bronze gudgeon casting to support the rudder shaft. We cut the bearing into three sections.

2. On the Nordic 44 the bearing is 1/3rd of a 2" id x 2-5/8" od x 8" long, code name JON CALL. Again, cut in thirds."